What is it?
SCANNER, which stands for Surface Condition Assessment for the National Network of Roads, is a carriageway assessment method. It utilises state of the art technology to provide comprehensive and completely objective surface and structural condition data. SCANNER systems incorporate laser scanning, accelerometer, advanced optic, GPS, and high-resolution image capture technologies.
Our SCANNER vehicle utilises the industry-leading LCMS-2 system. This allows for automatic detection of a range of condition parameters through 3D laser scanning technology supplemented with image based “AI”.
The system also overcomes the limitations of more traditional SCANNER systems currently in operation around the UK. Our data is the most accurate and repeatable on the market. Our crack detection technology is now even more advanced than the human eye guaranteeing data consistency year on year.
SCANNER Benefits and Versatility
- Highly efficient and cost-effective network-level assessment method
- Traffic speed survey with no traffic management required
- Safe survey procedure with minimal disruption to road users
- Industry accredited and auditable data trail, allowing for client scrutiny
- Condition data provided to support maintenance scheme selection and treatment identification
- Utilises machine-based accredited systems to provide objective condition assessments
- Combines 3D laser scanning technology with image-based “AI” defect detection
Why do it?
Our SCANNER service is designed to provide our clients with the tools to support asset management planning across critical infrastructure. This is achieved through comprehensive and consistent SCANNER condition data supported by quality video capture and automated “AI” detection technology. SCANNER data applications include:
- maintenance scheme identification and prioritisation
- multi-year asset condition reporting
- deterioration modelling
- asset valuation and investment scenario analysis
- network-level performance monitoring
- Carriageway Condition Indice
- and national reporting.
Our SCANNER vehicle brings together the latest in GPS, image capture, and laser scanning technology. This allows for automatic detection of a range of condition parameters, ensuring the survey methodology and data is objective.
With the latest available technology, the PTS LCMS-2 system goes beyond this. Alongside standard SCANNER data, we can provide a new set of parameters that can be derived from the 3D datasets. New parameters include:
- rut shape
- crack width and depth
- standing water depth
- pothole volume
- longitudinal construction joint condition
- ravelling development indicator
- stone loss
- and localised deformation.
These machine capabilities ensure we are bringing the best technology to the condition survey market.
PTS Ltd offer a variety of additional UKPMS services including SCRIM, CVI, DVI and FNS in addition to SCANNER. We also provide asset inventory surveys, the new Annual Engineers Inspection, and cater to bespoke survey requirement. Looking for post-survey analysis and reporting support? Our consultancy team are also able to provide a variety of statutory and tailored consultancy solutions.