What we offer
Bituminous mixture testing we offer at PTS Ltd includes:
- Preparation of samples for determining binder content, water content and grading to BS EN 12697-28:2001.
- Soluble binder content by difference, using bottle rotation machine and pressure filter to BS EN 12697-1:2012
- Soluble binder content by recovery, using bottle rotation machine, bucket centrifuge type 1 and volume calculation to BS EN 12697-1:2012
- Particle size distribution to BS EN 12697-2:2015.
- Bulk Density BS EN 12697-6:2012 (Dry, SSD, Sealed or by dimensions) of a core and Maximum Density to BS EN 12697-5:2009 from which we can find the voids content in accordance with BS EN 12697-8:2003 of a core sample. This is highly useful in checking compaction compliance and a major requirement in utility coring compliance.
- Percentage of the voids in the mineral aggregate filled with binder (vfb) to BS EN 12697-8:2003.
- Voids content in the mineral aggregate (vma) BS EN 12697-8:2003.
We offer the ability to measure rut resistance of Asphalt Surface course and Binder course for R&D purposes and quality control these tests are in line with BS EN 12697-22:2003 Procedure A and B. We also still provide the old BS Wheel tracking rate to BS598-110:1998 for comparison purposes. We have two Coopers small wheel trackers which means we can turn around samples quickly.
We have three of the latest and greatest Cooper Research Technologies Nottingham Asphalt testers that can perform a range of characteristic tests on asphalt mixtures. These tests include; two methods of fatigue testing; indirect tensile test on cylindrical shaped specimens in accordance with BS EN 12697-24:2004 & fatigue characteristics using indirect tensile fatigue Documented In-House Method: C6 ITFT Issue 5, 24/08/11 based on BS DD ABF: 1995.
Stiffness Modulus tests – test applying indirect tension to cylindrical specimens (IT-CY) in accordance with BS EN 12697-26:2004 Annex C. Determination of the dimensions of a bituminous sample to BS EN 12697-29:2002.
We also offer the old withdrawn standard (but still useful in certain applications).
Resistance to permanent deformation – unconfined dynamic loading under vacuum (VRLAT) to DD226:1996 where larger cores cannot be taken gives the chance to give an indication of rut susceptibility.
We have just acquired 3 cyclic compression setups in order to perform the cyclic compression test Method B in line with EN 12697-25:2016. This is a new test and is now being asked for more frequently, and replaces the old withdrawn vRLAT standard.
We have the ability to mix Asphalt in one of our 3 mixers in a range of sizes from 2Kg up to 75Kg in accordance with BS EN 12697-35:2004. We can compact materials either by Vibratory compaction, Gyratory compaction (none UKAS) and 305mm x 305mm slab compaction (none UKAS).
If you have any queries or requests for bituminous mixture tests then please contact the lab and we will be happy to help.